This was written during the season of Tanabata, a star festival beginning on the evening of 7/7, celebrating the joining of the deities Orihime and Hikoboshi - represented by the stars Vega and Altair. The theme naturally required stars. It is basically variations on Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. The famous melodies of Tanabatasama (Japanese children's folk song) and Jupiter are intermingled as well.
In order to be suitable for beginning ensembles, the composition follows these six rules:
1) One part only for each instrument. Oboe, bassoon, bass clarinet, baritone saxophone are optional. Divisi can be played.
2) Brass instruments voiced within one octave. Clarinet can be played without register key.
3) Score in Bb and Eb concert. Some accidentals added for experience.
4) Use from whole notes to eighth notes. Use triplets only in the end for certain instruments. Sixteenth notes can be written for percussion.
5) Articulations such as slur, staccato, tenuto, marcato, and accent can be used for experience.
6) Each instrument can be featured.
This is not just for beginning band, but can be enjoyed by all ages throughout the year!
World Parts Download